Decoration and Disturbance Allowance

Am I eligible for decoration and disturbance allowance?

We’ll consider paying you disturbance allowance if we need to move you out of your home to carry out extensive works. Berneslai Homes will pay your removal costs as well as other costs you may have while moving such as;

  • diverting your telephone line to your transit house
  • having mail diverted to this address
  • re-connecting your alarm system if necessary

This Disturbance Payment is designed to reimburse you the financial costs that are incurred by moving into transit accommodation, moving back home and helping re-instate items within your home. All such receipts for these costs must be kept and handed to your Project Liaison Officer. Once the works have been completed you will also receive a decoration allowance which is a contribution towards the cost of materials to redecorate your home.


How is the decoration allowance assessed?

Decoration allowance is assessed room-by-room, surface-by-surface and there is a standard template that we use to calculate it.


What is Assisted Decoration?

If you’re unable to carry out the redecoration of your property on your own, after we have carried out major works, we can offer you this if:

  • all members of the household are of pensionable age/frail/vulnerable
  • or all members of the household have a physical or mental disability
  • and are in receipt of Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance
  • and have no family or friends willing to help  with the redecoration
  • or has relevant medical evidence to support their application

The decorating service that Berneslai Homes offers is:

  • Lining the walls with wallpaper.
  • Painting the walls with emulsion.
  • Painting of woodwork where necessary.

You will not receive a decorating allowance in addition to this service.

How will you make the payment to me?

Your decoration allowance payment will be made directly into your bank account. If you do not have your own bank account, you may nominate someone else to receive payment for you.

Any arrears on your rent account may be deducted from your redecoration payment in order to clear or reduce the money that you owe.

Payment may take up to 4 weeks.