Housing Repairs – a guide to who does what

We legally and contractually have to maintain and repair your home and are responsible for keeping the structure, the outside and the essential services in good working shape.

What repairs are Berneslai Homes responsible for?
  • Damage caused by criminal activity
  • Bath
  • Blockages – sink, wash hand basin, bath or toilet
  • Ceilings
  • Chimney and flue
  • Chimney sweeping (we will only sweep your chimney once a year)
  • Cooker switch or socket
  • Damp-proof course
  • Decoration – outside
  • Door-entry systems
  • Inside kitchen doors
  • External entrance door
  • Downpipes (rain and soil)
  • Drains
  • Electric fire (if installed by us)
  • Electric storage heater
  • Electric wiring and fittings
  • Floors
  • Guttering and downpipes
  • Heating system
  • Kitchen units
  • Light fittings
  • Locks to windows and doors
  • Mechanical ventilators installed by us
  • Outside boundary walls
  • Plastering – except decorative plaster cracks less than 5mm wide
  • Plumbing
  • Shower unit installed by us
  • Stair lighting – shared
  • Steps and entrances – shared
  • Skirting boards
  • Mains-powered smoke detector
  • Battery-powered smoke detector (if we installed it)
  • Sockets and switches
  • Solid-fuel heating system
  • TV aerial – shared
  • Toilet pan and cistern
  • Wash basin, sink, bowl and drainer
  • Water supply – cold
  • Window catches, frames, handles and sills
  • Wiring circuits include fuse box.
What happens to repairs if I buy my home?

If you apply to buy your home we are no longer responsible for carrying out some repairs to your home. We’ll remove your home from ongoing and planned programmes of major work and will only carry out legal repairs. Since major improvement work takes a lot of planning, your decision not to buy your home after you began the right to buy process may mean your home won’t automatically be included in the planned programme of work in your area.

Can I claim compensation for small repairs under the 'Right to Repair' scheme?

Yes. You may have a legal right to compensation if we do not carry out certain small urgent repairs, called ‘qualifying repairs’, within a set time. We should carry out these repairs within the times listed below but sometimes things go wrong. If we don’t come to carry out the work, you should contact our repairs hotline and ask them to get the work done or arrange for a second contractor to do the work.

If the second contractor does not do the repair on time, we will pay you £10 compensation. For every extra day you wait, we will pay you an extra £2. The most compensation we will pay is £50. If you owe us any money, (for example for unpaid rent), we will take the amount you owe from your compensation.

We will not pay compensation if you do not keep an appointment or you do not allow the contractor or us into your home to carry out the repair.

Qualifying Repair Prescribed period (working days)
Total loss of electric power 1
Partial loss of electric power 3
Unsafe power or lighting socket or electrical fitting 1
Total loss of water supply 1
Partial loss of water supply 3
Total or partial loss of gas supply 1
Blocked flue to open fire or boiler 1
`Total or partial loss of space or water heating between 31st October and 1st May 1
Total or partial loss of space or water heating between 30th April and 1st November 3
Blocked or leaking fluid drain, soil stack, or (where there is no other working toilet in the dwelling-house) toilet pan 1
Toilet not flushing (where there is no other working toilet in the dwelling-house) 1
Blocked sink, bath or basin 3
Tap which cannot be turned 3
Leaking from water or heating pipe, tank or cistern 1
Leaking roof 7
Insecure external window, door or lock 1
Loose or detached banister or hand rail 3
Rotten timber flooring or stair tread 3
Door entry phone not working 7
Mechanical extractor fan in internal kitchen or bathroom not working 7