With the majority of us staying at home during lockdown, South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue are urging people to stay fire safe at home. Here are their top 10 safety tips:
- Make sure you have smoke alarms on every floor of your home
- Smoke alarms save lives, but only if they are working. Please test smoke alarms
- Take extra care in the kitchen and never leave cooking unattended
- Never, ever use a chip pan or any other pan filled with hot oil
- Don’t overload electric sockets– most can only take a maximum of 13 amps
- Keep matches and lighters away from children
- Keep clothes well away from heaters and open fires
- Put out cigarettes properly and dispose of them carefully
- Don’t charge things like mobile phones, tablets or e-cigs overnight, or longer than the recommended charging time
- Plan an escape route and make sure everyone in the house knows how to get out in the event of a fire.
Check out the SYFR website via this link for further information and advice to keep you safe.