Buying or selling a leasehold flat

As a tenant of Berneslai Homes you may have the right to buy your home. However, there are some exceptions (for example, if you live in sheltered housing). This service is run by the Right to Buy Team.

If you are thinking about buying your Council-owned flat, please make sure that your solicitor explains the details of the lease clearly. Please note there are certain qualifying criteria for the Right to Buy scheme.

How long do I need to be a council tenant before I can apply?

The right to buy scheme gives most council tenants, including flexible tenants, the right to buy their home at a discount. You must have been a council or housing association tenant for five years or more to qualify. If you are an introductory tenant you do not have the right to buy your home.

How can I apply?

To apply you need to complete a Right to Buy application form on the Government’s website.

What happens after I have applied?

The Right to Buy Team will let you know whether or not you have the right to buy your home within 4 weeks of receiving your application.

If you have the right to buy your home, the Right to Buy Team will arrange for your property to be valued. You should then receive an offer notice telling you the price that the Council will sell your home for you for. This should come with 8 weeks after you got the letter confirming your right to buy.

If you are not eligible to buy your home we’ll let you know why. If you disagree with our decision you can get advice from Citizens Advice Bureau or a Solicitor.

Will you still carry out repairs?

If you apply to buy your home, we are no longer responsible for carrying out some repairs to your home. We will remove your home from ongoing and planned programmes of major work, and we will only carry out repairs that we have to do by law. For example, we will fix leaks, repair your heating and other similar things.

Major improvement work takes a long time to plan and organise, so if you decided not to buy your home after you began the right to buy process, your home may not automatically be included in a planned programme of work in your area.

What happens if I cancel my Right to Buy?

All cancellations must be made in writing to:

Right to Buy,

Culture Housing and Regulation,

PO Box 634,


S70 9GG

If you cancel your Right to Buy application, your home will not be included in major repairs schemes (for example new central heating) for 12 months after your cancellation. Normal day-to-day repairs and minor repair schemes (for example loft insulation, electrical upgrading and painting programmes) will be carried out.