Insuring your home

We offer a home contents insurance scheme for tenants and leaseholders from a quality insurer.


Why do I need home contents insurance?

Berneslai Homes do not cover the contents of your home such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures or your decorations against theft, fire, vandalism, burst pipes and other household risks as part of your tenancy agreement.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

The table below gives you an idea of what Barnsley MBC / Berneslai Homes as your landlord is responsible for repairing or replacing and WHAT YOU are responsible for.

Scenario Your Landlord (Building Insurance) You the Tenant (Home Contents Insurance)
Fire /Storm  Damage to the structure of the building  Damage to personal possessions.
Leaks Damage to flooring & walls Damage to personal belongings and redecoration. 
Theft/Vandalism Broken windows & doors Theft / damage of personal belongings 
Flooding Damage to the building, flooring and walls Damage to personal belongings & decorations
What home contents insurance scheme do you offer?

Berneslai Homes have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies. It is designed to meet the demand and needs of social housing tenants and leaseholders looking to buy home contents insurance and Thistle have approached a single insurer Allianz Insurance plc.  

10 reasons to chose My Home Contents Insurance:

  • Flexible, regular pay as you go  premium payment options.
  • You can apply over the phone or use an online application form.
  • No Excess – you don’t have to pay the first part of the claim
  • Covers theft, water damage, fire and other household risks
  • Covers tenant improvements (up to £2000)
  • Covers contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £2000)
  • Covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible
  • Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms if keys are lost or stolen
  • You don’t need to have specialist door or window locks
  • All postcodes are included

The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions detailed in the Policy Document which you should read carefully.

Based on the information provided to you, if you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you please contact Thistle Tenant Risks

How much am I covered for and what is the cost?

Amounts insurable range from £6,000 to £35,000 for tenants aged over 60 and £9,000 to £35,000 for all other tenants.  Monthly payments start at £2.55 for tenants aged over 60 and £3.59 for all other tenants. 

How do I get covered?

You can download the application packs here.  Alternatively you can contact Thistle Insurance Services direct on 0345 4507288 to discuss and apply for cover. 

Prior to completing the application form, please review the Thistle Insurance Services Terms of Business Agreement and Insurance Product Information Document .

These documents give you important information on your rights, how Thistle will deal with you and your insurance and provides key information regarding the insurance cover. Please note that all Tenants Risks business is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.

For further information can be found at the Thistle Insurance website .

Complaints Process

Thistle Insurance Services always aim to get things right first time and they are committed to achieving the highest level of service for our customers. If you feel this hasn’t happened, Thistle Insurance Services would like to hear about it so that they have an opportunity to put things right for you and to improve the service in the future.

If you have a complaint about the sale or service of your insurance policy, call Thistle Insurance Services on 0345 450 7288 or write to:

Thistle Tenant Risks, Ground Floor, Southgate House, Southgate Street, Gloucester, GL1 1UB.

Alternatively, email us on:

If you have a complaint relating to your policy, please contact the Allianz Customer Satisfaction Manager at:

Allianz Insurance plc

PO Box 10623


LE18 9HJ

Phone: 0330 102 1781

Fax: 01483 529 717


A copy of our complaint’s procedure is available on request. For additional information, view our complaints page here.

Thistle Tenant Risks is a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Lloyd’s Broker. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.