We offer a special low cost home contents insurance scheme for tenants and leaseholders from a quality insurer.
Berneslai Homes does not insure your furniture, belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism, burst pipes and other household risks. It is really important that you take out home contents insurance to cover you if your contents are damaged, destroyed or stolen.
The table below gives you an idea of what your landlord is responsible for repairing or replacing and WHAT YOU are responsible for.
|Scenario||Your Landlord (Building Insurance)||You the Tenant (Home Contents Insurance)|
|Fire /Storm||Damage to the structure of the building||Damage to personal possessions.|
|Leaks||Damage to flooring & walls||Damage to personal belongings and redecoration.|
|Theft/Vandalism||Broken windows & doors||Theft / damage of personal belongings|
|Flooding||Damage to the building, flooring and walls||Damage to personal belongings & decorations|
The National Housing Federation My Home Contents Insurance Scheme together with Thistle Tenants Risks and Allianz Insurance plc offers tenants and leaseholders the chance to insure the contents of their homes in an easy affordable way.
The Key Benefits of this policy are:
- Flexible, regular pay as you go premium payment options.
- Quick & easy to apply for cover over the phone, by requesting a form or a call back.
- No Excess – you don’t have to pay the first part of the claim
- All social housing tenants & leaseholders are eligible to apply
- Covers theft, water damage, fire and other household risks
- Cover is provided on a new for old basis with no deduction for wear and tear- except in respect of linen and clothing
- Cover is in bands of £1000 starting at £6000 for tenants aged 60 and over and from £9000 for all others
- Cover includes Theft, Fire, Storm, Water Damage, Flood and Accidental damage to items such as hobs and sanitary ware
There are optional extensions for :
- Extended accidental damage cover
- Personal possessions away from home
- Wheelchair and mobility scooter cover
- Hearing aid cover
- Buildings cover for garages, greenhouses and garden huts.
Amounts insurable range from £6,000 to £35,000 for tenants aged over 60 and £9,000 to £35,000 for all other tenants. Monthly payments start at £2.55 for tenants aged over 60 and £3.59 for all other tenants.
Application packs can be obtained by contacting Thistle Insurance Services direct on 0345 4507288 to discuss and apply for cover.