Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

If you’re finding it difficult to pay your rent, you may be able to get a discretionary housing payment (DHP) on top of your usual housing benefit or Universal Credit payment.

DHPs are for people who are experiencing financial hardship and you can apply if:

  • you already receive housing benefit or Universal Credit with a housing element
  • your housing benefit or Universal Credit does not cover the full cost of your rent

DHPs are not paid for:

  • services that are included in your rent
  • making up a reduction because you’ve been overpaid benefit

For information and to apply for DHP follow the link