We're using cookies to give you the best experience on our website.

You can find out more about which cookies we're using here. 

Help with the cost of living

The cost of living crisis means that everyone’s feeling the squeeze and worrying more about how to pay the bills and buy essential items.

We’re here to help tenants with the rising cost of living. Please read the information on this webpage and contact us if you’re worried about things like paying your rent or heating your home.

You might be able to get help and advice to make changes, so you have more money coming in and less money going out.

Personal budgeting support​ 

Our tenant support officers can assist tenants with advice on budgeting and how to manage money and looking at their individual circumstances to get more money coming in and less going out of the household. We help with things like lowering payment plans and getting the best deals on utilities.

Cost of Living Payment

You may be able to get a payment to help with the cost of living if you’re getting certain benefits or tax credits. If you’re eligible, you’ll be paid automatically in the same way you usually get your benefit or tax credits.

Help to Save

If you’re on a low income you can get help with savings through the Help to Save scheme, which is a type of savings account. It allows certain people entitled to Working Tax Credit or receiving Universal Credit to get a bonus of 50p for every £1 they save over 4 years.​ Help to Save is backed by the Government so all savings in the scheme are secure.

Contact Us If You're Struggling To Pay For Things Like Food And Clothing
Find out more about the Cost of Living Payment Find out if you’re eligible for ‘Help to Save’

Pension Credit

Have you reached state pension age? Do you have a weekly income below £218.15 if you're single or £332.95 if you're in a couple? You could qualify for Pension Credit.

If your income is higher, you might still be eligible for Pension Credit if you have a disability, you care for someone, you have savings, or you have housing costs. If you're in a couple, you'll both need to have reached state pension age.

Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income. Pension Credit can also help with some housing costs.

You can start your application up to four months before you reach State Pension age or can apply any time after you reach State Pension age but your application can only be backdated by three months.

To apply:

You’ll need the following information about you and your partner if you have one:

  • National Insurance number
  • information about any income, savings, and investments you have
  • information about your income, savings, and investments on the date you want to backdate your application to

You’ll also need your bank account details. Depending on how you apply, you may also be asked for your bank or building society name, sort code and account number.

Read more about Pension Credit and make a claim
Request A Free Green Doctor Referral
Cadent Foundation Green Doctor

Groundwork has partnered with the Cadent Foundation to support households to take control of their energy bills and stay warm and well. Green Doctors offer free, impartial advice and access other services and initiatives available.

They can provide different kinds of support, whether that’s advice on paying off debt with energy or water companies, or spotting other concerns for a referral to other services. 

Some of the reasons people ask for help are:

  • struggling to pay energy bills
  • finding it hard to manage fuel debt
  • worrying about keeping warm or choosing between eating and heating
  • feeling that the home is cold, damp or draughty
  • respiratory problems e.g. asthma or a persistent cough

Use the buttons below to find out more or request a free Green Doctor referral. 

Visit the Green Doctor website to find out more Request a free Green Doctor referral

Other support available

Registered address:

10th floor, Gateway Plaza, off Sackville St, Barnsley, South Yorkshire, S70 2RD

Berneslai Homes Limited is a company controlled by Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council. A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales, number 4548803