Housing Benefit

Housing benefit is a national welfare Benefit that helps people on a low income pay the rent for the home they live in.

You can claim housing benefit if you’re renting your home and are on a low income (even if you are working). You must live in the UK, occupy your home, and be paying rent on it. Your joint finances will be assessed in cases where you have a partner.

You can’t claim housing benefit if:

  • you’re not liable to pay rent
  • you have more than £16,000 in capital (either you or your partner, or you and your partner together unless you receive the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit)
  • you live in a nursing home or residential care home
  • you’re a full time student in higher education (unless you are in an exempt category, for example single parents)
  • you’re living in the same household and paying rent to a close relative, an in-law or employer
  • you rent a former joint home from your ex-partner
  • you’re the parent or guardian of your landlord’s child
  • you receive Universal Credit

For information and to apply for housing benefit follow the link.