A Tenants and Residents Association (TARA) is a group of people who work together to give a voice to their community on housing and other community issues. The TARA groups are non-political and anyone living in the area represented can join.
You can see an overview of what the TARAs have been going in the download section of this page.
They work with local members, officers and many other agencies to improve the areas they represent. They have achieved great things within their communities from attracting major funding for play areas, to making sure everyone knows what’s going on by holding regular meetings and producing newsletters. The TARAs often organise activities like outings or events, which are not directly related to housing but which build community spirit and bring people together.
- Aldham House Area
- Great and Little Houghton
- Worsborough Common
Firstly you need to decide on the area that you want to represent and check that a TARA doesn’t already exist in that area. You’ll then need to look for people who will work with you to get things off the ground. Here are few other things to consider:
- You will also need to name the group. Most are named after the area they represent: ‘Anywhere’ Tenants and Residents Association, for instance.
- The group should represent the views of people in the area and is open to everyone in the area. An open public meeting" and make sure everyone in the area knows, you could deliver leaflets or put up notices in public places.
- The group will also need to elect a committee that is responsible for making sure the TARA achieves its aims. The group must also adopt our model constitution to help them with the running of things.
- Help, support and advice is available to any TARA from our Community Engagement Team who offer to support to any group wanting to start a TARA. We support all the TARAs to help you with the general running of the group, develop community projects, sharing information with your members and local community and getting involved with Berneslai Homes.
If you want to start a TARA in your area please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget to tell us your name, address and phone number.