Neighbour disputes

When a person becomes a tenant they agree to follow the conditions in their tenancy agreement and behave in a respectful way and not cause nuisance and annoyance to their neighbours.

The tenant is responsible for their own behaviour and the behaviour of anyone living with them or visiting them. This means we can take action not only when a neighbouring tenant is acting anti-socially, but if their children or their visitors are causing you problems.

We take neighbour complaints seriously. We will work with you and others to resolve problems and will deal quickly and efficiently with troublemakers.

What can you do if you have a problem with your neighbour?

You can tell us by:

  • completing our online form; or
  • phoning us on 01226 775555 – remember to tell us your name, address and phone number.  We may need to ring you back.
How can you help us?

You can help us by:

  • Providing as much information as possible.
  • Completing neighbour dispute incident report forms.
  • Completing any documentary evidence such as diary sheets.
  • Providing video/photographic evidence if appropriate.
  • Being prepared to attend County Court.
What will happen after you have reported it?

Your Housing Management Team will contact you to discuss the matter further and agree an action plan. We aim to contact you within 5 working days, to most of the reports we receive. But in serious cases we aim to respond within 24 hours.

This could include any of the following.

  • We may ask you to keep a diary and log events over a period of time.
  • We may arrange for you and your neighbours to take part in some mediation.
  • This may be with a representative of the Housing Management Team or a professional mediation service.
  • The aim is to help you and your neighbours discuss the situation and come up with a solution.
  • If you do not take part in this process we may not be able to find an amicable way to resolve the situation.

We may ask you to contact the police, helpline number Tel: 101.